TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cingular Migration

Re: Cingular Migration

John Levine (johnl@iecc.com)
17 Dec 2004 03:35:59 -0000

> Then how about SBC? I always heard SBC advertisments mentioning about
> Cingular Wireless. Please advise more ...

That story did a rather poor job of explaining what the problem is.

Cingular bought AT&T Wireless. Since it takes a while to merge the
operations of two big companies, for the moment AT&T Wireless is still
operating as AT&T Wireless even though it's part of Cingular.

That's so EXCEPT in a few places, like the part of Oklahoma where the
article was written. For anti-trust reasons, they sold some parts of
AT&T Wireless to Alltel. So in those few places, AT&T Wireless is
really Alltel. AT&T Wireless did a lousy job of telling the customers
in those areas to ignore all the ads, you're really Alltel customers
now.

If you were a Cingular customer before, you're still a Cingular
customer. If you were an AT&T Wireless customer before, you're
probably a Cingular customer, except in a few areas where you're an
Alltel customer instead. If you're an AT&T Wireless customer and
you're not sure, I'd suggest calling 611 from your cell phone and when
you get a human ask "is this Cinglar or Alltel"?

John R. Levine, IECC, POB 727, Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 330 5711
johnl@iecc.com, Mayor, http://johnlevine.com,
Member, Provisional board, Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial E-mail

Go to Next message: Dave VanHorn: "Re: Cell Phone Motorists Are Dangerous"
Go to Previous message: Thor Lancelot Simon: "Re: Wrong 911 Address Delays Firemen"
May be in reply to: jrefactors@hotmail.com: "Cingular Migration"