TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Wrong 911 Address Delays Firemen

Re: Wrong 911 Address Delays Firemen

Mark Atwood (mark@atwood.name)
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:35:35 GMT

TELECOM Digest Editor <ptownson@telecom-digest.org> writes:

> A fire in a six-story apartment building early Wednesday, killed one
> person and injured 31 others, and Mayor Bloomberg said firefighters
> were delayed because the caller reporting the fire gave the wrong
> address.

Which is why, when one moves to a new address and has POTS service
installed, on a weekday day, when not lots of emergencies are
happening, it is wise to dial 911, immediately tell the operator that
this is not an emergency, and ask them to verify your address.

Mark Atwood | When you do things right, people won't be sure
mark@atwood.name | you've done anything at all.
http://mark.atwood.name/ http://www.livejournal.com/users/fallenpegasus

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: When I first printed the original
item a couple days ago, my original intention was to *refute* the
oft-given argument about how 'VOIP fails to provide good identifica-
tion to public safety units.' That is one reason telcos and their
supporters give against VOIP service. My intention was to show it
can go both ways. PAT]

Go to Next message: Thor Lancelot Simon: "Re: Wrong 911 Address Delays Firemen"
Go to Previous message: Joseph: "Re: FCC Approves Wireless Internet Access on Airplanes"
May be in reply to: TELECOM Digest Editor: "Wrong 911 Address Delays Firemen"