TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Kevin Mitnick Recalled

Re: Kevin Mitnick Recalled

Al Dykes (
12 Dec 2004 17:43:32 -0500

In article <>, Danny Burstein
<> wrote:

> In <> Lisa Minter
> <> writes:

>> Rummaging around through the Telecom Archives, I found two interesting
>> items on Kevin Mitnick. I wonder if anyone knows what he has been
>> doing since 1997 or whenever he got out of prison.

> From a recent post I made to another group:

>Subject: Mitnick using his powers for Good. Demonstrates Windows probs

> "Surfing the Web has never been more risky.

> "Simply connecting to the Internet -- and doing nothing else --
> exposes your PC to non-stop, automated break-in attempts by intruders
> looking to take control of your machine surreptitiously.

> "While most break-in tries fail, an unprotected PC can get hijacked
> within minutes of accessing the Internet.

> "'It's a hostile environment out there,' says tech security consultant
> Kevin Mitnick, who served five years in prison for breaking into
> corporate computer systems in the mid-1990s. "Attackers have become
> extremely indiscriminate."

> [ snippety snip ]

I found Mitnick's book _The Art of Deception: Controlling the Human
Element of Security_ a good presentation on Social Engineering, useful
to give clueless technical people an idea as to just how sneaky a con
artist can be and how difficult it can be to make a large organization
a hard target.

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Go to Next message: Tony P.: "Re: Urban Legends Reference Pages: Politics (Celling Your Soul)"
Go to Previous message: "Re: Unlimited Calling Plan to India"
May be in reply to: Lisa Minter: "Kevin Mitnick Recalled"