TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Dropping SBC For a VoIP Solution -- Vonage or Packet8 ??

Re: Dropping SBC For a VoIP Solution -- Vonage or Packet8 ??

Isaiah Beard (sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com)
Thu, 09 Dec 2004 15:13:16 -0500

Rick Merrill wrote:

>> One feature I tried that didn't work well was the call forwarding. I
>> forwarded the line to my work number, called my house, and within a
>> couple of rings my work phone rang. The delay was (no kidding) 2-3
>> seconds. Total pipe-organ effect, which makes this feature useless
>> for me.

> You wired it up wrong, and I'll try to say why. It should be
> Modem<>TelephoneAdapter<>Router<>PC

Uhh, that doesn't work for Packet8, I'm afraid. The Packet8 ATA is
specifically meant to plug in behind the router. See page 2 of this
document to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.packet8.net/support/faqs/docs/quickstartguide_frontback_final_ctm.pdf

If YOU have a DTA310, and have managed to install it in the setup
you've described, I'd like to know how you managed it. :)

FWIW though, I have Packet8 and have not run into the lag problem.
there is a small amount of lag, but it's equivalent to the lag you
experience on a cell phone, about .25 to .5 seconds. Not enough to be
noticeable in conversation.

E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Go to Next message: Tim@Backhome.org: "Re: Radar Detectors"
Go to Previous message: Ringo Langly: "Re: Dropping SBC For a VoIP Solution -- Vonage or Packet8 ??"
May be in reply to: Ringo Langly: "Dropping SBC For a VoIP Solution -- Vonage or Packet8 ??"