TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Connecting VoIP Device to Home Wiring

Re: Connecting VoIP Device to Home Wiring

William Warren (william_warren_nonoise@comcast.net)
Wed, 08 Dec 2004 15:14:53 GMT

On 7 Dec 2004 11:24:11 -0800, Ringo Langly <rlangly@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,

> I'm a subscriber of Packet8, and on their VoIP box it says not to
> connect it to the home wiring in my home. I'm assuming they get folks
> who connect it without unplugging the Ma Bell line and this blows the
> box. If I disconnect the outside lines (no voltage on phonelines) is
> there any reason not to connect the VoIP box to make all my phones
> hot? I only have three phones throughout the house, and I've been
> told such a box like this should put out enough voltage to carry such
> a load. Just curious -- Thanks,

> Ringo

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: As long as you *disconnect everything*
> pertaining to Bell first, you should be okay. PAT]

Ringo,

Make sure you _really_ disconnect EVERYTHING: there may be old
transformers on the wires from a Princess phone.

You'll also need to check if your burglar alarm and/or utility meter is
hooked to the line: they'll need to be reprogrammed if your dialing
pattern is different.

And _please_ take the time to update the E911 records. The life you save
may be your own!

FWIW.

William

(Filter noise from my address for direct replies)

Go to Next message: Rick Merrill: "Re: Connecting VoIP Device to Home Wiring"
Go to Previous message: Ringo Langly: "Re: Connecting VoIP Device to Home Wiring"
May be in reply to: Ringo Langly: "Connecting VoIP Device to Home Wiring"