TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Dropping SBC For a VoIP Solution -- Vonage or Packet8 ??

Re: Dropping SBC For a VoIP Solution -- Vonage or Packet8 ??

Ringo Langly (rlangly@gmail.com)
7 Dec 2004 11:20:21 -0800

Hi ... it might be the Google Groups screwing-up, not sure but I did
post a review last week yet it's not showing-up in the thread. Either
way here's another quick review after using the phone for a week.

Setting-up the Packet8 VoIP box was cake, and it was ready to go after
maybe 10 minutes. My first delimma was I had to enable DHCP on my
router, which I generally keep turned off. After checking online
there is no way to assign a static IP to the VoIP device they sent me.

Anyway, my first call went well, but there is a noticeable delay when
calling a landline -- and the more traffic going over your broadband
the more the delay. My roommate was running Bittorrent downloads, and
it wasn't until after I disconnected her computer that the delay was
low enough to actually carry on a conversation.

But with the broadband line opened-up (no downloads) it worked great!
The sound quality was excellent and though the delay was maybe 1/4-1/2
second at times it worked well. I even called the technical support,
which I got right through in like 2 rings, but they couldn't do
anything for the delay. I had update the firmware in the box before
calling them too.

One feature I tried that didn't work well was the call forwarding. I
forwarded the line to my work number, called my house, and within a
couple of rings my work phone rang. The delay was (no kidding) 2-3
seconds. Total pipe-organ effect, which makes this feature useless
for me.

But all and all it's good enough for what you pay -- which is about
$25/month. I'm paying $15 more then that for SBC, which doesn't work
when it rains due to a bad buried line they won't fix. Plus the
unlimited L/D is nice! Caller ID, callwaiting, etc all work good too
-- other then the person's name doesn't come over -- just the phone
number on caller ID.

So hope that helps someone. I might still try Vonage when they are in
my area, but for now Packet8 works good enough for me. If I can get
my roommate to limit her Bittorrent downloads I'll be pulling the plug
on SBC.

Take care, and I'll post anything new as it comes up.

Ringo

Go to Next message: Tony P.: "Re: Phone Works But Extensions Don't Ring"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: Lingo Voip isn't really cheap"
May be in reply to: Ringo Langly: "Dropping SBC For a VoIP Solution -- Vonage or Packet8 ??"