TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Dropping SBC For a VoIP Solution -- Vonage or Packet8 ??

Re: Dropping SBC For a VoIP Solution -- Vonage or Packet8 ??

Ringo Langly (rlangly@gmail.com)
2 Dec 2004 13:27:01 -0800

rlangly@gmail.com (Ringo Langly) wrote in message

> trb_1217@yahoo.com (tgreen) wrote in message

>> Ringo,

>> I am looking forward to your review. I recently went through a similar
>> VOIP company comparison and I settled on Sunrocket. They are a new
>> company, but so far I have had a good experience. I tried them out
>> because it seemed pretty risk free -- no sign up, activation, or
>> cancellation charges. I hope you have a good experience. I think
>> VOIP is going to get pretty big over the next year.

> Hi everyone,

> Well last night the Packet8 router (or whatever it is) arrived, and in
> about 10 minutes it was activated and I had a dialtone. The first
> thing I did was run a speedtest on DSLReports.com, and I was sitting
> at around 2.4Mbps down and 350Kbps up (nothing else on network
> active), which is about normal for me.

> I made my first call to my landline (SBC), and the first thing I
> noticed was the delay. It was generally less then 1/2 a second, but
> it's enough where two people will step on one another while talking.
> I called the Packet8 tech support, and they said there generally is
> some delay, but it's should be no more then 50-100ms, which is hardly
> noticeable. Mine was more like 1/4-1/2 second delay. This doesn't
> sound like a biggie, but it breaks-up the casual flow of conversation.

> I then started firing-off some of my other applications, like iTunes
> (stream is 128K), Azureus (limited to 5K upload and 1500K download),
> email, and all my other web-based apps I usually run. With all this
> running I did another speed test, and I was down to about 1.1 Mbps
> down and 300Kbps up, which is still well within the 20Kbps or so
> required by Packet8.

> The sound quality is excellent, and caller ID, voicemail, and
> everything thus far works great. I even updated the firmware in the
> router, but the delay is still there. If anything is the killer it'll
> be the delay -- but I'll give it a full try for the next few weeks.

> I didn't sign any contract or anything, but it's free for the first
> month if I don't like it and send it back -- given I don't go over 300
> minutes. The reasons I want to drop SBC is mainly because I'm paying
> $37/month and most VoIP services are closer to $20-$25/month. Plus my
> SBC line likes to quit working when it rains, and though I've told SBC
> exactly where the problem is they still haven't fixed it.

> Bottom line, the delay is annoying, but outside of that the service
> works great. I'll post another review later after I use it for a week
> or so.

> Ringo

Hi all,

I have tried another feature offered by Packet8 that is rather bad ...
They have the option to forward calls to another number if you're not
at home, and in testing I forwarded calls to my work phone. From
another phone in my office I called home and in about 3 rings my
office line rang.

Well, once I picked it up the delay was literally 2-3 seconds. I'm
thinking the call goes from ma bell to Packet8 to the VoIP router at
home then back to Packet8 then back to ma bell -- which creates a
MAJOR delay. It's literally not worth using with such a delay.

Once again other then the delays the service is great. And I know
it's not my broadband because again during the test I had 300Kbps up
and 1.5Mbps down according to DSL Reports.

Ringo

Go to Next message: becky: "Re: VOIP News Closing Down"
Go to Previous message: Rick Merrill: "Re: Lingo Voip SUCKS!"
May be in reply to: Ringo Langly: "Dropping SBC For a VoIP Solution -- Vonage or Packet8 ??"