TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Flat-Fee Option Enters Phoning by Web

Flat-Fee Option Enters Phoning by Web

Lisa Minter (lisa_minter2001@yahoo.com)
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 02:22:37 -0500

http://business.bostonherald.com/technologyNews/view.bg?articleid=56419

By Greg Gatlin

SunRocket Inc., the latest Internet phone service provider to shoot
into Boston's growing VoIP market, unveiled an annual $199 flat fee
for home phone service yesterday.

The privately held Vienna, Va. company's offer could heat up price
wars emerging among increasing numbers of companies offering phone
service through Voice over Internet Protocol.

SunRocket says it's the first time a telecommunications company has
offered such an annual flat fee. It says all charges are built in to
that price, with no 'gotchas' or hidden fees that irk consumers when
they open their phone bills.

SunRocket says the deal includes unlimited domestic calling and
numerous features such as call waiting, caller I.D. and enhanced voice
mail. Up to 100 international minutes are included in the price.

"Consumers are frustrated with the difference between what they
thought they were going to pay and what they end up writing a check
for," said Joyce Dorris, chief marketing officer.

SunRocket's offer breaks down to $16.58 per month. Analysts say VoIP
phone service providers are offering a wide range of prices, generally
from about $20 a month to $35.

Full story at:
http://business.bostonherald.com/technologyNews/view.bg?articleid=56419

[TELECOM Editor's Note: Jack Decker has stated that his publication
VOIP News is going into a hiatus starting later today. In order to
fill the gap, this publication you are reading now will be taking on
any VOIP messages sent by readers effective tomorrow. Our name will
be changed to TELECOM/VOIP Digest. If you use any email filtering
system based on subject headers, etc you may want to adjust your
filters or whitelists to be TELECOM/VOIP rather than just TELECOM.
And really, IMO, Voice over Internet *is* the way telecom is going in
the future. An exciting new era for us. PAT]