TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Printing Numbers, was Re: Routing Problems To the Cayman Islands

Printing Numbers, was Re: Routing Problems To the Cayman Islands

Danny Burstein (dannyb@panix.com)
Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:13:35 UTC

Paul Barnes <Paul_member@newsguy.com> wrote in message

( portions snipped )

>> I work for Cable and Wireless in the Caribbean, and we have received
>> several complaints that in the past 3-4 weeks, that persons in many
>> parts of the world (including the US and Canada) who try to call
>> cellphone NXX codes in the Cayman Islands have been experiencing
>> difficulties.

>> We have arranged for test calls to be made to the Cayman cellphone
>> NXX ranges from all of the major Tier 1 international carriers with
>> whom C&W has agreements to bring traffic into the region: ATT,
>> IDT, MCI, Sprint, BT, Teleglobe and CWC.

>> Cayman Islands NPA, 345 (part of the North American Numbering plan)

>> Test numbers: 345 [ snip]
>> 345 [ snip ]

Pat, I'd be very, very, cautious about ever publishing letters like
this, especially when there are requests to make phone calls to the
numbers.

a) it could easily be someone trying to harrass
the real "owner" of those numbers

and

b) since these are international long distance
numbers (despite the original poster's technically
accurate but misleading claim that they are "part of
the NANPA) the costs of making these calls could
easily come as a big surprise when the bill arrives.

oh, and

c) it may also simply be a scheme to generate more
revenue to the telco carrier ...

dannyb@panix.com

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Just FYI, before I printed that
message, I personally called two of the four numbers given. A man
answered on each of them. I told him I was calling to verify the
request for assistance in testing. He said 'thanks' and asked me
where I was calling from. I told him 'Kansas, USA, area 620-330'
(because I was using my cell phone.) He said okay, thanks, and we
disconnected. My total call may have lasted twenty seconds on each
of them. I probably should have added this note to the original
message, but didn't. If I get any outrageous phone charges, I will
let folks here know. PAT]

Go to Next message: Dr. Edward F Gehringer: "Calling Card Needed -- Short Interaction Sequence"
Go to Previous message: Telecom dailyLead from USTA: "Alltel Buys AT&T Wireless Assets"
May be in reply to: Paul Barnes: "Routing Problems To the Cayman Islands"