TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: How Do I Learn an Unknown Number?

Re: How Do I Learn an Unknown Number?

Tony P. (kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net)
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:44:04 -0500

jtaylor@hfx.deletethis.andara.com says:

> Nathan Strom <nstrom@ananzi.co.za> wrote in message

>> rekingus@yahoo.com (reking) wrote in message

>>> Anyone know how I can retrieve a phone number for a line that I have
>>> recently discovered within our business.

>>> SBC is our carrier but they tell me I would have to have someone come
>>> out and trace the line at a charge. Is there a way of determining the
>>> nimber by using some code entered on the phone.

>> If there's a dialtone on the line, hook up a phone and try calling
>> 1-888-902-9998. It should read back the number of the calling phone.

>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I tried it just now and it worked fine
>> on my Vonage line, and also on my cell phone line. PAT]

> Whoopie! Works from the Great White North also!

> Who runs this?

Interestingly it uses Caller ID data, not the BTN. I tried it using my
Vonage VoIP phone which is currently using virtual number
401-608-nnnn, but it passes 401-621-nnnn as Caller ID and that's what
the 888 number read back to me.

Go to Next message: Tamra Burgwardt: "Article on How Hot Telecom Jobs Were"
Go to Previous message: Andrew Bell: "Re: How Do I Learn an Unknown Number?"
May be in reply to: reking: "How Do I Learn an Unknown Number?"