TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Dropping SBC For a VoIP Solution -- Vonage or Packet8 ??

Re: Dropping SBC For a VoIP Solution -- Vonage or Packet8 ??

John McHarry (mcharryj@bellsouth.net)
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 02:38:34 GMT

I have Packet8 because I could not get a local Vonage number, and they
are a bit less expensive. It is good enough for me, although not quite
landline quality. It is probably slightly better than cellular, but
there is noticeable delay and degradation when talking to a cell
phone, probably due to the double compression.

I made one international call to Germany, which didn't last long
enough to get a good notion of the quality, but the return call seemed
to sound better, so I wonder about the quality of the transatlantic
link.

Soon after you get it you probably want to upgrade the firmware in the
interface box. It is painless, and there are fixes and features that
were not in the firmware as shipped. That may no longer be the case,
but it doesn't hurt to make sure.

Go to Next message: Nathan Strom: "Re: How Do I Learn an Unknown Number?"
Go to Previous message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Sears and K-Mart"
May be in reply to: Ringo Langly: "Dropping SBC For a VoIP Solution -- Vonage or Packet8 ??"