TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: VoIP Plays Big Role in Presidential Election Turnout

Re: VoIP Plays Big Role in Presidential Election Turnout

ranck@vt.edu
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 17:30:44 +0000 (UTC)

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I have a question about the election.
> On AP News Wednesday afternoon, Senator Kerry said in order to save the
> country the kind of debacle which occurred in 2000 when Mr. Bush was
> eventually declared the winner, he was going to concede the election
> to Bush, which he did. But later in the day Wednesday officials said
> they were still going to closely audit all the votes from Ohio. Now
> just suppose the Ohio audit showed the Kerry *had* won that state
> (although he and others said it was quite unlikely). But let's say
> it turned out he did win *that state's electoral votes*. In that case
> he might have won the election; but he has already conceded to Bush.
> What would happen in that case? Has a 'winner' of a presidential
> election ever conceded it to someone else? Just curious. PAT]

I don't think it has ever happened, but what Kerry really said,
in effect, is that his campaign will not challenge the vote counts
anywhere. If, as you suggest, Ohio does its own audit and awards
its electors to Kerry, then the Electoral College still does its
thing on the appointed day in December and Kerry could in theory
still become President. This seems highly unlikely, but there is
no mechanism in the Constitution for a candidate to "concede."
I suppose he could refuse the appointment, but then the office
would go to Edwards, not Bush. At least, I think that's how it
would work.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Go to Next message: Clark W. Griswold, Jr.: "Re: Prepaid Questions [was Re: Make Right Call On Cell Plans]"
Go to Previous message: Rick Merrill: "Re: VoIP Plays Big Role in Presidential Election Turnout"
May be in reply to: Lisa Minter: "VoIP Plays Big Role in Presidential Election Turnout"