TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: VoIP Plays Big Role in Presidential Election Turnout

Re: VoIP Plays Big Role in Presidential Election Turnout

Wesrock@aol.com
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:23:07 EST

In a message dated 11/4/04 1:33:21 AM Central Standard Time,
editor@telecom-digest.org writes:

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I have a question about the election.
> On AP News Wednesday afternoon, Senator Kerry said in order to save the
> country the kind of debacle which occurred in 2000 when Mr. Bush was
> eventually declared the winner, he was going to concede the election
> to Bush, which he did. But later in the day Wednesday officials said
> they were still going to closely audit all the votes from Ohio. Now
> just suppose the Ohio audit showed the Kerry *had* won that state
> (although he and others said it was quite unlikely). But let's say
> it turned out he did win *that state's electoral votes*. In that case
> he might have won the election; but he has already conceded to Bush.
> What would happen in that case? Has a 'winner' of a presidential
> election ever conceded it to someone else? Just curious. PAT]

"Conceding" has no legal effect. You will recall that in the last
presidential election Gore conceded to Bush, then later un-conceded.
then challenged the Florida in court.

The reports I have heard is that Ohio officials will continue
counting absentee ballots and checking provisional ballots (and
counting them if they qualify), as of course they should, but that
Kerry and his associates determined that challenging them in
court or waiting for the count to be completed could not result
in gaining enough votes to make him the winner.

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com
wleathus@yahoo.com

Go to Next message: Clark W. Griswold, Jr.: "Re: VoIP Plays Big Role in Presidential Election Turnout"
Go to Previous message: NewPhoneUser: "Home Phone Link in India"
May be in reply to: Lisa Minter: "VoIP Plays Big Role in Presidential Election Turnout"