TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Pre-Recorded Phone Should be Illegal

Re: Pre-Recorded Phone Should be Illegal

J Kelly (jkelly@newsguy.com)
Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:28:08 -0600

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 18:06:12 -0600, J Kelly <jkelly@newsguy.com>
wrote:

> On 31 Oct 2004 19:43:19 -0800, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com (Lisa Hancock)
> wrote:

>> In this election season, I have been BOMBARDED with pre-recorded phone
>> calls pitching various candidates, flooding my answering machine.

>> I know election phone calls are legal.

>> However, I think pre-recorded phone calls, of any kind, should be
>> illegal.

>> The constant ringing of the phone this year was terribly annoying.

>> If it had been last year, it would've been devastating. Last year at
>> this time I was caring for a seriously ill person and was ill myself.
>> I was in frequent touch with doctors, phamarcies, nurses, and
>> families. I had to keep the phone open and answer all calls.

>> To a healthy person, the constant ringing was terribly annoying. I
>> would've gone out of my mind last year.

>> When you're in bad pain, a ringing telephone is not a pleasant thing.

>> BTW, I also received several live calls urging a deceased member of
>> family to go vote, even though that person was removed from the
>> election rolls quite some time ago. [In hindsight I wish I requested
>> they come and assist that person to the polls.]

>> When I go to the polls Tuesday, I will talk to the politicians (the
>> people who stand outside and give out leaflets). I will ask them for
>> their home phone numbers, but I have a funny feeling they, for some
>> strange reason, won't give them to me.

> I wish they would send valid Caller ID also. I get a LOT of calls
> from "Dir Asst Iowa" at 515-555-4143. Almost all of them are the
> Governors office begging me to please vote for Democrats. Also had at
> least 20 calls from 000-000-0000 and 10 or so from 111-111-1111.

> One guy did send valid CID, and it was his home phone number.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The poor devil; probably just a hapless
> volunteer working for some candidate he likes; but refreshing to see,
> wasn't it? Makes you feel like voting for his candidate. PAT]

Pat, it was the CANDIDATES home number. I called to bitch at them to
stop calling me and I get the families answering machine at home! I
hung up figuring if he has the balls to put in his actual home number,
than I'll let him call and tele-spam me. I did actually vote for him
even though he is in the 'wrong' party.

Go to Next message: Lisa Minter: "FCC: Forum Will Examine Impact of VoIP, New Services on Numbering"
Go to Previous message: BobGoudreau@withheld: "Re: Pre-Recorded Phone Should be Illegal"
May be in reply to: Lisa Hancock: "Pre-Recorded Phone Should be Illegal"