TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Owner of Stolen 'sex.com' Can Sue VeriSign - Court

Re: Owner of Stolen 'sex.com' Can Sue VeriSign - Court

Steve Sobol (sjsobol@JustThe.net)
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 10:15:42 -0700

Gary Breuckman wrote:

> As you said, that difference is 'traditional' and not really enforced
> these days -- anyone can apply for the com/org/net TLDs without regard
> for what they want to do with them. 'edu' is the only one that's
> really restriced anymore. Same with us/biz/info and most of the
> country code TLDs.

And even EDU isn't enforced completely. It's supposed to be for
four-year institutions ONLY, yet you have Cuyahoga Community College
in my hometown -- tri-c.edu -- and Victor Valley College and Barstow
College in this area -- vvc.edu and barstow.edu. All three are
two-year community colleges.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Do you know who the .EDU registrar is?
I suppose I could try 'whois .edu' and try to see how it resolves.
Reason I ask is maybe someone will decide to start a sex education
course on the internet and ICANN, out of their deep respect for that
kind of website (after all, there are so many sex sites on the net
now) will suggest putting them in .edu . PAT]

Go to Next message: TELECOM Digest Editor: "New Telecom Web Site on the Way"
Go to Previous message: Hank Karl: "Re: Cybersquatter Update"
May be in reply to: Patrick Townson: "Owner of Stolen 'sex.com' Can Sue VeriSign - Court"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page