TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: 'K' v. 'W' Television Station Callsigns

Re: 'K' v. 'W' Television Station Callsigns

Wesrock@aol.com
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 10:02:27 EDT

In a message dated Sun, 24 Oct 2004 01:18:22 +0000,
bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) writes:

>> WWL(AM) and WWL-TV are now located in New Orleans, LA.

> Looks like memory has played me false on this one. Further checking
> shows it has always belonged to Loyola University, in New Orleans.
> (I'm going to have to do some more digging on this -- I'm _sure_ that
> WWL was in the Cedar Rapids/Waterloo metro area in the 50's-70's. "I
> may be wrong, but I'm not uncertain" applies :) The university-owned
> and operated TV station in New Orleans was a CBS network affiliate, as
> of 1959. So, WOI-TV was not the only university-owned network TV
> affiliate -- but I don't know of any other that was owned/operated by
> a _public_ institution.

In the late 1930s and 1940s, when I was growing up as a DX fan, WWL
(AM, of course) came booming in at night as loud as a local station
with the ID "WWL, Loyola University of the South, New Orleans." It
was definitely a commercial station owned by a university.

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com
wleathus@yahoo.com

Go to Next message: Angus TeleManagement: "Telecom Update (Canada) #454, October 25, 2004"
Go to Previous message: John Smith: "Re: Free Speech and Corporations"
May be in reply to: Neal McLain: "'K' v. 'W' Television Station Callsigns"