TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Citywide Wi-Fi Link Considered / Internet Virtually Everywhere

Citywide Wi-Fi Link Considered / Internet Virtually Everywhere

Monty Solomon (monty@roscom.com)
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:59:43 -0400

NEWTON

Citywide wi-fi link considered
Internet access would be virtually everywhere

By Matt Viser, Globe Correspondent | October 24, 2004

Several Newton officials are looking into blanketing the city's 18.5
square miles with wireless Internet transmitters, which would make the
city one of several places in the nation -- and the only one in
Massachusetts -- to offer the service on such a wide scale.

The plan, which an aldermanic committee began discussing last week,
would involve mounting routers on telephone poles throughout the
city. Anyone within 100 yards of one of the routers would be able to
access the Internet using a password. The city would charge about $10
per month to use the service, which could begin to be available in as
soon as six months.

Installing the routers throughout the city would cost between $370,000
and $740,000, according to initial estimates.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2004/10/24/citywide_wi_fi_link_considered/

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Here in Independence, authorities have
considered the same thing, but the scale is quite different. Our town
is only two miles long by two miles wide approximatly, with between
8000-9000 residents, but I do not think it has ever gotten beyond the
talking stage as of yet. Independence High School and the college have
both pushed for it, but no one wants to supply the money needed. PAT]

Go to Next message: Danny Burstein: "FTC Gets Court Order Against Spammer Wallace, et al"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "I Love Bees Game a Surprise Hit"
May be reply: Tony Pelliccio: "Re: Citywide Wi-Fi Link Considered / Internet Virtually Everywhere"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page