TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: What Happened to Channel 1?

Re: What Happened to Channel 1?

Robert Bonomi (bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com)
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 01:38:06 +0000

In article <telecom23.507.5@telecom-digest.org>, Andrea
<andrea8090@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know the real reason American TVs don't utilize channel 1?
> I've read many conflicting theories.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I have always heard that Channel 1 was
> occupying frequencies used in the VHF-low area (30-50 mc band) and
> that *originally* (1940's) some of that spectrum was going to be taken
> away from the users of VHF-low band radio and given to television, but
> many people protested it, so rather than re-align the television
> channels to move Channel 1 a bit further up, the FCC simply abandoned
> it for television use. PAT]

_Which_ 'channel 1' ?? In point of fact, there were several different
channel 1 allocations at various times in history.

See: <http://members.aol.com/jeff560/tvch1.html> for a good description
of that all went on.

Go to Next message: Herb Stein: "Re: What Happened to Channel 1?"
Go to Previous message: Julian Thomas: "Re: Bell System Competition: Private Telephone Networks"
May be in reply to: Andrea: "What Happened to Channel 1?"