TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: 'K' v. 'W' Television Station Callsigns

Re: 'K' v. 'W' Television Station Callsigns

Steve Sobol (sjsobol@JustThe.net)
Sat, 23 Oct 2004 13:07:05 -0700

Linc Madison wrote:

> I grew up in Dallas, Texas, with WRR-FM and WRR-AM (now KAAM-AM),
> WBAP-AM and WBAP-TV (now KXAS-TV), WFAA-AM and WFAA-TV, and, down in
> San Antonio, WOAI-AM and -TV. I then moved near Philadelphia and
> watched KYW-TV.

> What I find rather more interesting are situations where stations
> sharing the same callsign are in completely different metropolitan
> areas. For example, KCBS-TV is in Los Angeles, but KCBS-AM is in San
> Francisco.

WONE-AM Dayton, Ohio
WONE-FM Akron, Ohio

This one is pretty easily explained, though.

Both were owned by Summit Broadcasting at one time (Not sure where
they were located but I assume it's near Akron, since Akron's in
Summit County)

AM was sold to Clear Channel. The FM ended up in the hands of another
local broadcaster, Rubber City Radio. Both still use the same calls.

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: 'K' v. 'W' Television Station Callsigns"
Go to Previous message: Marcus Didius Falco: "Qwest to Pay $250 Million in Fraud Probe"
May be in reply to: Neal McLain: "'K' v. 'W' Television Station Callsigns"