TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: PBX For Home

Re: PBX For Home

William Warren (w_warren@comcast.net)
Tue, 03 Jul 2007 22:44:48 -0400

alextingle@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi, thanks for answering my question:

> I want to install a PBX system (landline) in my home. I've heard,
> from sellers/installers, that you must have an individual wire from
> each jack going to where the phone line comes in (i.e. a different
> wire from each jack to one central location -- where the PBX would
> plug in). Before I order a system, I want to make sure that I have
> the proper wiring. I do not want to re-wire my home.

> 1) How do I check if I have this wiring in my home?

Go to the "Demarcation point", which is where the phone wire from the
outside pole comes into your home. If you see a separate pair of wires
attached there for each phone in your home, the chances are you
already have "Home run" wiring. If you have five phones, but less than
five pairs of wire at the demarcation point, then you're going to have
to do some work. This is not a 100% perfect test, but it's a good
place to start.

> 2) Most sellers say that if I do have this wiring, the Merlin Legend
> or Magix system is the only way to go. Are there any other Avaya/
> Lucent/even Nortel systems that would work?

What wiring? Do you mean daisy-chained wiring, or a separate line for
each phone?

> 3) Is the Merlin Legend/Magix the best bet for a home PBX?

You'll have to answer the question of "what PBX features do you find
essential?" before you can make an informed purchase. First, ask
yourself "What am I trying to accomplish?", and make a list of the
things you want the machine to do for you.

For example, do you have someone at home with limited mobility? Are
some household members working off-hour shifts? Do you have a need to
audit either cost or time on calls? Do you require the ability to
shunt all calls to voice mail without audible ringing? Do you want
wake-up or other notification features?

Once you have a better picture of the system that you want, _then_ you
can ask "Which one is best?".

Start with this list:

1. Can use Category three wiring, the kind in most homes
2. Maintenance available from local firm
3. Major manufacturer
4. Paging, music-on-hold, other features
5. Reasonable cost
6. Ease of use and ease of programming
7. Good used market (check Ebay, other sites)
8. Compatible with existing instruments

When you've decided what features are "Must have" and which are "nice,
but not essential", you'll be ready to look at the available systems.

HTH. YMMV.

William

(Filter noise from my address for direct replies)

Go to Next message: mc: "Re: I Have a Telephony Mystery :-)"
Go to Previous message: Sumner Lemon, IDG News: "Hackers Working to Unlock iPhone"
May be in reply to: alextingle@gmail.com: "PBX For Home"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page