TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Is the iPhone an AT&T Time Bomb Against Cell Users?

Re: Is the iPhone an AT&T Time Bomb Against Cell Users?

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
Mon, 02 Jul 2007 13:47:11 -0700

How much do people pay for their wireless handsets? Why?

I got mine (original and replacement) for free. They weren't the
newest or fanciest models, but they certainly served their purposes.
My new one does a lot more than I expected it to.

At retail, including carrier-owned stores and kiosks, most handsets
seem to be for sale, not for free with plenty of buyers. At Verizon
stores, all were for sale, though on the Internet they had free
promotions. At Cingular, they had some for free as part of a
promotion.

Some of the handsets weren't cheap, like around $50.

I think the new iphone has some neat features, though I'm not sure if
its tiny screen will have much utility in reading stuff without either
strong eyeglasses or extensively scrolling. However, I can't imagine
it offers that much utilty so that people will pay hundreds of dollars
for the phone plus a great deal more every month for the various
services to make use of it.

[But what do I know? The mayor of Philadelphia was in line at 3
a.m. to get his unit. He says it helps his productivity and will be
better than his Blackberry. He got criticized for wasting time in
line, but said he was still productive.]

Go to Next message: pattyjamas@hotmail.com: "Re: iPhone. I Really Want to Like it and Get it But ... Quick Analysis"
Go to Previous message: David Quinton: "Re: I Have a Telephony Mystery :-)"
May be in reply to: C. Benz: "Is the iPhone an AT&T Time Bomb Against Cell Users?"