TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: VOIP Question

VOIP Question

burris (responder@comcast.net)
Mon, 02 Jul 2007 17:00:46 -0400

What happens to the telephone numbers that were ported if a VOIP
provider goes out of business?

Do they have to notify customers and allow them to switch carriers?

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Well I can tell you AT&T would be very
derelict if they failed to hustle these new (and probably old, very
long time ago) customers. I do know that in the case of Prairie Stream
Telecom, when that company went out of business, Southwestern Bell (or
by that point in time, AT&T) sent lots -- and I mean a lot -- of junk
mail out inviting all of us to rejoin the fold once again, and telling
us they would be 'so pleased' to welcome us back. So pleased, in
fact, that they would give us each fifty dollar VISA gift cards to
show their pleasure. Prairie Stream recommended Sage as their
replacement so I took them instead of going back to the 'new' AT&T.
I am sure the VOIP provider has to tell other carriers so the other
carriers can try and pitch to the left over customers. PAT]