TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: We've Come So Far ...

Re: We've Come So Far ...

Mark Crispin (mrc@cac.washington.edu)
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 11:57:11 -0700

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007, T wrote:

> Where the hell can you get basic unlimited service for only $20 a
> month? I'm sorry but I consider all the little 'fees' to be nothing
> but legal extortion.

In the Seattle area, Qwest territory, the basic fee for flat-rate
local calling POTS is $12.50/month. The "access fee" and taxes push
it up to about $20/month. It's more if the line has long-distance
access, but you can disable that and avoid those fees. Specifically,
for local-only service:

Residential line $12.50
Federal Access Charge $5.84
City Tax $.80
Local 911 $.50
State 911 $.20
Telephone Assistance Pgm $.14
TRS Excise Federal ADA $.09
------
$20.07

There may also be a 3% federal excise tax; but I can't figure out
which parts of my bill are subject to the tax and what isn't. Even if
there is, the sum would still be less than $21.

I won't comment about the fees being legal extortion.

> Here in RI a basic line will run you $45 a month.

All due sympathies. Now that Washington State has become a one-party
state, I'm sure that our costs and taxes will rise to Northeast standards.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc

Go to Next message: Josh: "Re: We've Come So Far ..."
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: "All the President's Men" (Still More Movie Phone Trivial)"
May be in reply to: John Mayson: "We've Come So Far ..."