TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Phone Multiplexer Failures, Power Outages, and Firewall Problems

Re: Phone Multiplexer Failures, Power Outages, and Firewall Problems

Rick Merrill (
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 09:28:49 -0400

T wrote:

> In article <>,
> says:

>> John Levine wrote:

>>> Yeah. Verizon's FIOS in effect puts a SLC on your house, with a
>>> battery that it's your job to replace every couple of years, and when
>>> you forget and the power fails, you lose. The decreasing resiliency
>>> of the phone system to power failures is a real problem that nobody
>>> seems to be addressing.

>> I think that cell phones are now so prevalent that because they have a
>> battery and are locatable for 911 purposes that few are worried about
>> reduced reliability of POTS during power failures.

>>> Regards,

>>> John Levine Primary Perpetrator of The Internet for Dummies
>>> Information Superhighwayman wanna-be,, ex-Mayor
>>> "More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.

> But the cell phone is useless when the local towers lose AC power. Put
> it this way, I know that the NEXTEL box in back of our office has some
> big honkin' A/C units but I don't see any power backup at all.

Our local cell tower (looks like a 'pine tree'!) has it's own Big
generator -- no idea how long their battery backup ridethrough is.

Go to Next message: Paul: "Re: Remembering the Great Telco Fire, May, 1988"
Go to Previous message: Jim Stewart: "Re: Phone Multiplexer Failures, Power Outages, Firewall Problems"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page