TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Top Spammer Arrested; Watch for Decrease in Spam Mail

Re: Top Spammer Arrested; Watch for Decrease in Spam Mail

T (nospam.kd1s@cox.nospam.net)
Wed, 6 Jun 2007 16:42:26 -0400

In article <telecom26.159.7@telecom-digest.org>, rws_usa@yahoo.com
says:

> I found your discussion here by doing a search looking for a possible
> explanation for the decrease in spam I've received over the last
> several days -- about 90%. I was receiving approx. 100-150 per day, now
> about 10-15. Cool!

It appears that Cox is doing some upstream filtering for spam since the
volume of spam to those accounts I have with Cox has dropped to
virtually nothing.

In article <telecom26.156.6@telecom-digest.org>, tom.horsley@att.net
says:

> On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 11:01:30 -0400
> mc <look@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address> wrote:

>> Well said! The spam-filtering and antivirus industries have often
>> struck me as enemies disguised as friends. They rely on spam and
>> viruses to continue, so they can continue selling us their
>> technological solutions to human problems.

> And as near as I can tell, the only difference between anti-virus
> software and an actual virus is that you pay money to deliberately
> infect your system with anti-virus software which will render it
> sluggish and useless just like the viruses it claims to protect you
> from. (Or with the recent Norton debacle in China, will completely
> break your computer).

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Yeah, but the way you can almost always
> guarantee a virus-free computer is by putting up with that
> sluggishness while the virus checker thing literally examines the
> entire page you are atempting to download. Damned if you do, and
> damned if you don't, it would seem. PAT]

I run AVG for anti-virus, POPFile for spam filtering, and use a hardware
firewall backed up by Windows Firewall. Hasn't really slowed me down
any.

Go to Next message: John Dunbar, Deborah Yao, AP : "Relief in Store for Cable TV Subscribers"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "Vodafone Shareholder Group Calls For Verizon"
May be in reply to: Gene Johnson, AP Legal Affairs Writer: "Top Spammer Arrested; Watch for Decrease in Spam Mail"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page