TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Web Site Error Rocks Global Oil Markets

Re: Web Site Error Rocks Global Oil Markets

Rick Merrill (rick0.merrill@NOSPAM.gmail.com)
Fri, 01 Jun 2007 19:34:02 -0400

John Mayson wrote:

> On Thu, 31 May 2007, Reuters News Wire wrote:

>> World oil prices jumped briefly on Wednesday after a television station
>> in Tulsa, Oklahoma -- the No. 62 U.S. media market -- posted an
>> erroneous story about a refinery fire on its Web site.

> Someone explain something to me.

> Why would the price of a raw material go up due to a refinery fire?
> It'd be like the price of wheat rising on news of a fire at a Wonder
> Bread factory. I could see the price of gasoline rising, but not oil.

> John Mayson <john@mayson.us>
> Austin, Texas, USA

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Not really, since there is a more than
> ample supply of wheat with which to make more bread, but oil is a
> somewhat more limited substance. And, refineries do more with crude
> oil than simply make gasoline. How about all sorts of 'petroleum-based'
> by-products? PAT]

I think that is a good question. Perhaps the competition says, "hey,
buy us more oil so we can make a run at the marketplace while that
refinery is down." Thus bidding up the price of crude.

Go to Next message: John Mayson: "Re: Web Site Error Rocks Global Oil Markets"
Go to Previous message: mc: "Re: eHarmony Sued For Discriminatory Actions"
May be in reply to: Reuters News Wire: "Web Site Error Rocks Global Oil Markets"