TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: FCC Should be Required to More Accurately Count Broadband Users

Re: FCC Should be Required to More Accurately Count Broadband Users

Matt Simpson (net-news69@jmatt.net)
Wed, 30 May 2007 11:09:06 -0400

In article <telecom26.149.3@telecom-digest.org>, Senator Daniel
Inouye, Press Release <inouye@telecom-digest.org> wrote:

> Senator Decides Maybe The FCC Should Be Required To More Accurately
> Count Broadband Users (From the what-a-concept dept)

This is a very good idea. In Kentucky, our governor has promised "100%
broadband coverage statewide" by the end of 2007. He has created an
organization, Connect Kentucky http://www.connectkentucky.org which
seems to be mainly a source of jobs for his cronies. About all they do
is crank out press releases about what a great job they're doing. They
currently claim "93% coverage", and say they are on track for 100% by
year end. But they don't say what those numbers are based on. They
produce maps based on the same kind of bogus reports that Senator Inouye
mentions. For example, my home is in an area shown on their maps as
covered by cable broadband, although there is no cable anywhere near me.

When I contacted them about that, their response was basically "Yeah,
we know the maps are wrong". But they won't say whether their 93%,
soon to be 100%, is based on the erroneous maps. They also seem to
have no clue how they're going to get to 100%. I suggested that if
they really thought they would have all areas covered by then, that
they should already know HOW the missing areas will be covered, since
it takes a while to implement coverage. Yet they have no idea what
kind of coverage my area will get this year, if any. I suspect that
since it's already colored on their map, they just plan to claim that
it's covered even though it isn't.

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: FCC Should be Required to More Accurately Count Broadband Users"
Go to Previous message: John Mayson: "Re: I Want to Pay For Basic Service and the Extras Separately"
May be in reply to: Senator Daniel Inouye, Press Release: "FCC Should be Required to More Accurately Count Broadband Users"