TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Last Laugh! Racism and All That Rot

Re: Last Laugh! Racism and All That Rot

John Mayson (john@mayson.us)
Sat, 12 May 2007 20:41:44 -0500

Wesrock@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/10/07 3:24:59 PM Central Daylight Time, Pat wrote
> in a note to a posting by Fred Goldstein <SeeSigForEmail@wn6.wn.net>:

>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Speaking about odd pronounciations of
>> words, consider the town of Miami, Oklahoma. Residents there do not
>> pronounce it My-Am-eee, but rather My-Am-ah.

> What's your definition of "odd"? There are 15 or 20 cities in the
> United States named "Miami," and the pronounciation is divided about
> half and half between those two variants.

Likewise I believe most cities named "Newark" are pronounced "New ark"
versus "New work". Still, everyone thinks the former is the "odd" one.

John Mayson <john@mayson.us>
Austin, Texas, USA

Go to Next message: Agence France Presse News Wire: "Last Laugh! Your Mother; Some Guys Would Rather Go to Jail"
Go to Previous message: panoptes@iquest.net: "Re: Last Laugh! Racism and All That Rot"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page