TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic Areas?

Re: Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic Areas?

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
9 May 2007 13:58:33 -0700

P.S. Some things I forgot to mention ...

On May 9, 12:54 pm, hanco...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> How would you know if a household is rental, boarder, or homeowner?

For a survey to be a true reflection of people's opinions, it must be
an accurate cross section. If telephone numbers are taken out of the
phone book, that right there is a distortion because many people have
unlisted numbers. Further, very often a household has several people
living in it but only one person is listed in the director. Some
listings in the phone book are professional offices, not residences.
(And some business sounding names are actually personal; "motel" is
the English spelling of an Eastern European first name, for example.)

If they use a random dialer they risk violating the law if they call
forbidden numbers, such as cell phones or in nursing homes. They will
also end up calling businesses and waste their time.

> Consequently I refuse to answer your question. For other viewers who
> choose to answer, I respectfully ask them to first thing about the
> nuisance aspect such "survey" phone calls.

Typo -- I meant to say "think", not "thing".

I appreciate the comments made by Mr. Burstein.

Lastly, in my opinion it was wrong that Do Not Call lists don't
include non profits, surveys, and politicians. If someone doesn't
want to be called, they shouldn't be called. No execeptions.

Some people say that those of us who want privacy can get it by buying
special devices or filters. I find that suggestion offensive. We who
want to be left alone shouldn't have to go to trouble (or have our
callers be bothered with PINs) or spend our money to keep out the tele-
agents.

Lastly, some tele-agents are sleazy. They set up a quick operation
and break the rules, knowing that they'll be gone by the time
authorities catch up with them. They know consumers have to go to a
great deal of trouble to record the time/date/etc of an unwanted call
and then file a complaint about it. They know how to shut down and
reopen under a new corporate name somewhere and repeat the racket. It
is troubling that when one of the outfits is finally caught that we
see how many corporate names it has used.

Go to Next message: Scott Dorsey: "Re: Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic Areas?"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "AT&T Expands Broadband-Satellite Service"
May be in reply to: Patrick E. Burns: "Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic Areas?"