TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Why I Am Not Switching to Verizon

Re: Why I Am Not Switching to Verizon

Scott Dorsey (kludge@panix.com)
6 May 2007 17:47:34 -0400

Fred Atkinson <fatkinson@mishmash.com> wrote:

> On 4 May 2007 10:07:27 -0400, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>>> that email address is very personal and people/companies want very
>>> specific name -- but it is a disgrace that in Verizon there is no even
>>> one smart person that could explain to this powerful idiot the meaning
>>> of email address. Anyway -- what other options with decent ISP we
>>> have in NYC? Any recommendations?

>> Well, I will strongly recommend Panix, which will sell you DSL over
>> Verizon's telecom infrastructure. Their customer service is amazingly
>> good.

>> But there's no reason you need to use Verizon's mail service if you buy
>> connectivity from them anyway.

> You overlook a small problem. If you are too far from the C.O. to get
> Verizon, how can you get Panix?

That is something you cannot get. If you are too far from the CO to
get DSL service, you will have to get something other than DSL
service, such as ISDN or the like.

But the original poster was claiming that they would not get Verizon
service because of Verizon's customer service, not because the service
was unavailable.

> And if they are reselling Verizon's service (and Verizon is one of the
> low quality high speed Internet providers), then how is their service
> any better?

Because you can pick up the telephone and talk to a real human being
in the US who actually knows something about how the system works and
how to fix it, rather than be constantly bounced from the telephone to
the DSL departments like Verizon did to me for a month when I had what
was clearly a line issue.

Verizon is providing the physical infrastructure, but Panix is
providing the mail and news services as well as the support. And the
support is the original poster's telecom issue.

--scott

Go to Next message: Eric Auchard, Reuters: "NBC Universal Sides Against YouTube in Piracy Suit"
Go to Previous message: Steven J. Sobol: "Re: Why I Am Not Switching to Verizon"
May be in reply to: zalek: "Why I Am Not Switching to Verizon"