TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: More on Internet and Patent History

Re: More on Internet and Patent History

Scott Dorsey (
5 Apr 2007 10:37:11 -0400

In article <>,
<> wrote:

> Time sharing required a facility known as "Dynamic Address
> Translation". I wonder if this was patented. IBM chose not to
> include it in its original System/360 line in 1964 and not support
> timesharing, but General Electric did and their machines were used
> for early timeshared computers. IBM later added this to its
> System/360 model 67 and its System/370 line. Time sharing proved to
> be a lot harder to implemented than first predicted; it was a heavy
> CPU and memory drain which was a problem on the technology of the
> 1960s.

You don't really _need_ memory management to do timesharing, but it
sure helps a whole lot and keeps users from killing one another. IBM
made an aftermarket DAT box that could be attached to the 360/50 and
some other models in order to run TSO, when it became clear that this
was a big deal for computer buyers.

> Some in the early 1960s predicted time sharing would allow
> "democratization" of computer services, by allowing acess by anyone
> through a terminal to an expensive computer. Some of these published
> predictions described the Internet as we have it today [in 2007] as
> being available in 1990, it took another full decade for that to come
> to fruition.

Most of those predictions actually described the internet of 1990,
really, which was greatly superior in some ways to the internet of

Telecom content? Not much.

"C'est un Nagra.  C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

Go to Next message: "Re: A Stay of Execution Possible for Vonage"
Go to Previous message: Linc Madison: "Re: Fred Phelps Fax Machine Antics"
May be in reply to: "More on Internet and Patent History"