TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: NANP Number Lengths

Re: NANP Number Lengths

Stan Schwartz (stannc@carolina.rr.com)
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 21:30:48 PDT

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> On 9/23/1962, the New York Times had a very detailed article on the
> conversion to All Number Calling (ANC), consumer opposition and
> frustration to ANC, and future prospects of telephone systems. This
> may answer some of your questions of how the system evolved. The NYT
> is available on microfilm or CDROM in many large libraries.

It's also available to Times Select subscribers on the internet.

Interesting how the article discusses:

Data transmission at an "amazing" 2000 bits per second. AT&T had
predicted that 2L+5N dialing would have reached capacity by 1970. ANC
would resolve capacity issues until 2000 (only 5 years off). The
reason behind not going to a 3L+5N dialing plan. The magic Electronic
Central Office of the future, with its 23,000 neon-filled tubes, that
would allow (what we know now as) 3-way calling, speed dialing, call
forwarding, and home intercom.

Go to Next message: Reuters News Wire: "ICANN Rejects .xxx Adult-Only Sites"
Go to Previous message: Bill Hendley: "Re: Claiming Your Federal Telephone Tax Refund"
May be in reply to: Marc: "NANP Number Lengths"