TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Troubles With Computers' Daylight Shift

Re: Troubles With Computers' Daylight Shift

Steven J. Sobol (sjsobol@JustThe.net)
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 05:27:08 +0000 (UTC)

In article <telecom26.73.6@telecom-digest.org>, Add Homonym wrote:

> If only it were that simple.

Simpler, actually, grab TZEDIT.EXE from the Win2k resource kit, or
there's a Microsoft knowledge base article that has a link to download
it; run the program, tell it that DST for your timezone starts the
second Sunday in March and ends the first Sunday in November - those
are the new extended start and end times.

Then go to the Time/Date control panel, switch to a timezone that
isn't yours, then switch back. Bingo.

> What do you propose one do about re-occurring outlook appointments?
> (they will all be off if you do as above)

Microsoft also has a utility that will do this for you. Obviously,
back up your Outlook data first.

Required to correct Outlook 2000, XP and 2003 calendar entries. Not
required for 2007 but recommended anyhow as it fixes some other stuff
(I forget what).

Granted, things are probably different when an Exchange server is
involved. Thank $DEITY, I don't have to deal with Exchange anymore,
just standalone Outlook installs.

Pat, that issue you had with PuTTY is weird. I run PuTTY at work and
at home, and updated a few computers with it installed, and had no
trouble. You're running a current or recent version, right?

Steve Sobol, Professional Geek ** Java/VB/VC/PHP/Perl ** Linux/*BSD/Windows
Victorville, California PGP:0xE3AE35ED

It's all fun and games until someone starts a bonfire in the living room.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I am running a version of Windows 2000
which is fully up to date with security patches as issued by
Microsoft. The trouble, I suspect, is the NetTime 2.0b7 software
running in there also. I use my Win 2000 machine as a 'server' for the
other computers here in this room (another Win 2000 and a Win 98 and a
laptop Win 98). I trusted NetTime since it is Open Source software and
Open Source generally is well documented and easy to handle. And my
puTTY stopped working because as far as it was concerned, I was
tampering with the time manually, and puTTY considers that some sort
of security issue. PAT]

Go to Next message: jmeissen@aracnet.com: "Re: Speaking About Daylight Saving Time"
Go to Previous message: Duh_OZ: "Re: Troubles With Computers' Daylight Shift"
May be in reply to: Brian Bergstein, AP Technology: "Troubles With Computers' Daylight Shift"