TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Can CAT6 Cable Share Phone/100Mbit Ethernet?

Re: Can CAT6 Cable Share Phone/100Mbit Ethernet?

Robert Bonomi (bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com)
Sat, 10 Mar 2007 08:09:25 -0000

In article <telecom26.68.8@telecom-digest.org>, JR
<russet32@gmail.com> wrote:

> I currently have a CAT6 cable running from my hub to jack behind my
> tv. Actually, there is an 8-pin jack by the hub and then one by the
> tv with the CAT6 cable connecting the two. This allows me to have an
> Ethernet connection behind the tv.

> I am willing to rewire it myself if needed. Any pointers or web sites
> that discuss this? I searched around and found some things that might
> help but nothing that directly describes how to do what I want to do.

Not much to discuss. The standards were designed with this eventuality
in mind, although it is contrary to contemporary 'best practice'.

Ethernet runs on pins 1,2,3,6. the center pair -- 4,5 -- is the standard
'pair 1', for telephony use.

Note: considerable care -will- have to be exercised in constructig the
'splitter', to maintain a quality 100mbit connection. Spec. requires
that you maintain the 'twist' in the pairs to within 1/2" of the connector.

Go to Next message: Gordon S. Hlavenka: "Re: Can CAT6 Cable Share Phone/100Mbit Ethernet? TELECOM"
Go to Previous message: Carl Navarro: "Re: Can CAT6 Cable Share Phone/100Mbit Ethernet?"
May be in reply to: JR: "Can CAT6 Cable Share Phone/100Mbit Ethernet?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page