TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Private Line History

Re: Private Line History

Wesrock@aol.com
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 16:54:27 EST

In a message dated 8 Feb 2007 12:46:51 -0800, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
writes:

> I notice many large-chain retail outlets (fast food, gas stations)
> have microwave dishes on the roof. I presume this isn't to watch
> television, but rather transmit and receive data to/from the central
> HQ. I have no idea how these things work, but I would call that a
> private line application.

They are satellite terminal to transmit credit card data and
receive authorization (or declination) from the credit card servicing
provider. A private line? That doesn't seem an apt description. I
was in a Wal-Mart store a year or so ago and no checks or credit cards
could be accepted because "the satellite is down" (probably meant the
satellite equipment was in trouble, either at that store or at the
home terminal.)

(Checks are widely authorized now, too, by firms specializing in the
service.)

Some chains also have high speed data links (not via satellite) for
the same purpose.

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com
wleathus@yahoo.com

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Private Line History"
Go to Previous message: mc: "Re: How to Shut Down the Net"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page