TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: 712 858 8094?

712 858 8094?

Michael Muderick (michael@muderick.com)
Fri, 02 Feb 2007 15:19:03 -0500

I have been given this number and told that it is a US-dial gateway for
making free international calls -- all you have to do is call the Iowa based
number. It was suggested it to me as a way for me to call into conference
calls at work for free. Does anyone know anything about this?

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: My research assistant looked into this
loophole on Friday afternoon. The number rings, and after a short
pause answers in three different languages: first, some dialect of
Chinese, then in Spanish, and finally in English. The essence of the
three messages is 'enter the number you wish to call, now'. What is
expected of you is to enter '011' (international code from the USA),
followed by the varying length number you wish to reach. A prudent
person might limit outcalls at that point to movie-theatre recorded
message lines, weather recordings, hotel switchboards, etc. My research
assistant did not think it was a wise idea to call a number _where a
real person -- let's say someone's mother -- might eventually answer
and brag on her son, the computer and telephone 'expert'. _ Such a
smart boy, and all that rot ... my research assistant listened to the
opening tri-linqual instructions, then dialed 011-620-331-1113 for the
Independence weather and time of day recording. You can even call
other USA domestic numbers with the '011' on the front end, that is
important. But, if its for free or not, I do not know until I get
the bill; we also tried calling my cell number through this
loop-around and the caller ID on my cell phone said it was my
research assistant calling! In other words, the caller ID of the
original caller gets passed; nothing is in secret. Exactly how or if
they will bill for it, I do not know. But the '011' is needed, since
apparently the Iowa location 'expects' it is going to be given an
international number. In other words do like any international
call and add 011 but omit any leading ones or zeros after that point
which the recipient of the call would give out. PAT]

Go to Next message: communicationsdirect_daily: "CommunicationsDirect News Daily Update"
Go to Previous message: Kenneth Li: "Viacom Demands YouTube Remove Videos"
May be reply: John Levine: "Re: 712 858 8094?"
May be reply: Mark Brader: "Re: 712 858 8094?"
May be reply: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: 712 858 8094?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page