TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Few Rush Out to Buy New Window Vista

Few Rush Out to Buy New Window Vista

Jessica Mintz, AP (ap@telecom-digest.org)
Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:06:54 -0600

By JESSICA MINTZ, AP Business Writer

NEW YORK - Consumers can finally get their hands on Microsoft Corp.'s
long-delayed Windows Vista, but unlike the mad midnight rushes
retailers saw with the recently released video game consoles, stores
saw only a trickle of early adopters Tuesday.

Retailers around the world held special midnight events Monday or
opened early Tuesday morning, as the Vista operating system and Office
2007 business software went on sale in 70 countries. Some stores,
including a Best Buy in midtown Manhattan, brought in extra employees
to handle pent-up demand for Vista.

At a CompUSA in San Jose, Calif., David Keller, a 40-year-old
information-technology consultant from Jacksonville, Fla., was among
the first in line to pick up a new Hewlett-Packard Co. laptop at
midnight (3 a.m. EST).

"I've been waiting and waiting, and I've been using my personal laptop
for work -- it's not working well," he said. "This is a big deal for
me. I'll hopefully get the better performance that I need, and I
won't have to go through the trouble of upgrading later."

But at another CompUSA store in Raleigh, N.C., only about a dozen
people braved frigid late-night temperatures to stake their claim on a
copy of Vista.

This is the first time since 1995 that Microsoft simultaneously
released new versions of Windows and Office, the software package that
includes Word and Excel. Although the vast majority of people
worldwide still run Windows machines and use Word to type up
documents, the company faces growing competition from Linux
open-source operating systems and an array of free desktop or
Web-based programs for word processing, e-mail and other services.

Microsoft said PC users will want to upgrade to Vista for its 3-D user
interface and speedy desktop search function. The Redmond, Wash.,
software maker also touts Vista's improved security and parental
controls. For Office 2007, Microsoft tossed out familiar menus and
buttons and replaced them with a "ribbon" of settings that change
depending on a user's current task.

But consumers whose computers work fine with Windows XP, Vista's
five-year-old predecessor, may not see a compelling reason to
switch. Al Gillen, an analyst at technology research group IDC,
estimates it will take five to seven years before the majority of
systems running XP are retired.

Michael Bridges of Mabank, Texas, was the lone customer perusing the
sprawling display of Vista software and computers at a Fry's
Electronics store in Dallas on Tuesday morning.

Bridges, a 53-year-old who works in the highway construction business,
said he was curious to see the various editions of Vista but had no
immediate plans to buy a copy.

"Every time Windows comes out it has bugs," he said. "I don't want to
pay for that yet. I'll probably wait a couple of months."

Kathleen Calvin echoed those concerns as she left a Best Buy in
Brooklyn, Ohio, empty-handed.

"I just want to make sure it's something that's going to work well,"
she said.

During the past few weeks, shelves in the computer section at a Best
Buy in midtown New York have been essentially bare, as consumers lost
interest in laptops with XP and the retailer cleared space to sell new
machines running Vista, which imposes such hardware requirements as 1
gigabyte of system memory, or RAM.

Consumers who want to upgrade a relatively new XP computer can expect
to drop $100 to $259 for Vista alone, depending on the version (a
standalone version of Vista costs up to $399, but it is already
included in the price of new PCs). While Microsoft boasts that 1.5
million devices are Vista-compatible now, analysts warn of a
potentially rocky transition.

"The real proof I think is going to be in the first few weeks, where
we see if all the vendors really stepped up to getting their drivers
right," said Michael Silver, an analyst at Gartner, a research group.
"It is definite that some things won't work, especially if you're
trying to make an older PC learn new tricks."

But as in the past, most consumers will switch to Vista only when they
buy new computers, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said Monday during a
launch-related event.

Microsoft shares fell 21 cents to $30.32 in afternoon trading Tuesday
on the Nasdaq Stock Market.

Associated Press writers Elizabeth Dunbar in Raleigh, N.C., Matt
Slagle in Dallas, Jordan Robertson in San Francisco and Thomas
J. Sheeran in Brooklyn, Ohio, contributed to this report.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press

NOTE: For more telecom/internet/networking/computer news from the
daily media, check out our feature 'Telecom Digest Extra' each day at
http://telecom-digest.org/td-extra/more-news.html . Hundreds of new
articles daily. And, discuss this and other topics in our forum at
http://telecom-digest.org/forum (or)
http://telecom-digest.org/chat/index.html

For more news and headlines, please go to:
http://telecom-digest.org/td-extra/AP.html

Go to Next message: Danny Burstein: "Emergency Comms, was: Is Your Telephone AC Power Dependent?"
Go to Previous message: Reuters News Wire: "Paris Hilton Sues Web Site Dispalying Her Property"
May be reply: Steven J. Sobol: "Re: Few Rush Out to Buy New Window Vista"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page