TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Article: T1 Connections Provide Unparalleled Data Transfer Speeds

Re: Article: T1 Connections Provide Unparalleled Data Transfer Speeds

Scott Dorsey (kludge@panix.com)
17 Jan 2007 11:11:15 -0500

FreedomFireCom <melemm@cognisurf.com> wrote:

> For most business seeking high speed internet access for data transfer
> applications ... a T1 connection is the solution of choice over DSL.
> This article explains why ... and how.

> http://broadband-nation.blogspot.com/2007/01/t1-connections-provide-unparalleled.html

This is very badly written, it misses most of the real advantages of
the T-1 grade connection, and it neglects to point out any of the
serious disadvantages (like the T-1 being expensive and comparatively
slow). There was an era when the T-1 was all that there was, but
these days the options are so much greater for symmetric
high-bandwidth connections.

In article <telecom26.13.14@telecom-digest.org>, John L
<johnl@iecc.com> wrote:

> I have a T1. It provides symmetric bandwidth and considerably lower
> latency than DSL or cable. My T1 provides 1.5Mb each way with about
> 3ms delay. It's not hard to find a cable connection that can download
> that fast or faster, but I've never seen cable or ADSL with that
> upload speed.

There is no ADSL with that upload speed. But there _is_ SDSL, which
is designed for that sort of thing. There is also frame relay, which
is _sort_ of a T-1, but not really.

scott

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: NY Times Plans Major Job Cutback"
Go to Previous message: jtaylor@NOSPAM.hfx.andara.com: "Re: Want an iPhone? Beware the iHandcuffs"
May be in reply to: FreedomFireCom: "Article: T1 Connections Provide Unparalleled Data Transfer Speeds"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page